HomeGrown Plums and Free Range Eggs
It’s days like this that I remember why I decided not to move back to Dublin in 1999!
Living in the Countryside has it’s challenges ( social life, transport, jobs) but the positives are space, land, nature and the ability to become self sufficient!
Anyway, As many of you know I grow a variety of my own veg inc plums which I bought from Lidl about 5 years ago… This is only the second year that they have been so fruitful so I like to make the most of them when I can.
Thus this fabulous Plum and Custard Tart recipe which I would like to share with you now.
Plum and Custard Tart Recipe:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Half the plums (cut round then twist apart) and de-stone them – set aside
- Mix flour and butter in bowl to resemble breadcrumbs
- Add enough water to make a soft dough
- Butter a tart dish and roll pastry out to fit.
- Place in tart dish
- Bake blind in oven for ten minutes ( I cover with greaseproof paper then fill that with risotto rice as baking beans – this stops base from rising)
- Meantime mix milk, sugar and eggs together with vanilla or almond essence
- Take out of oven and place plums on bottom face down
- Pour liquid over plums
- Bake in oven for 45 mins